Go to navigation

Certificate corrections

An entry can only be corrected if there was a mistake at the time of the registration. Evidence showing the correct details is required. Some corrections can be authorised locally at the register office and others need to be referred to the General Register Office. You should initially contact the register office to arrange an appointment.

When you contact us we will advise you of the procedure and will tell you what documentary evidence you will need. You will also need to complete an application form requesting a correction. Forms can be downloaded from the links below.

Corrections are made by entering a note in the margin at the end of the entry, and this note is reproduced on certificates.


A fee is usually payable for the consideration of a correction.

Further information about correcting entries, together with application forms can be found on gov.uk :