Go to navigation

Getting married abroad

If you're planning to marry outside England and Wales you should seek advice from the authorities for the country in which you intend to marry to enquire about what legal paperwork they will require.

Some countries may require a document issued by your local Register Office. If this is the case, phone us on 01634 33 88 99. We will then advise you if we are able to provide you with a relevant certificate. This will depend on many things as the rules are complex. Factors will include where the wedding will take place, the nationalities of the bride and groom and where they are resident. If appropriate, we will then book an appointment for you. You will be advised what documents to bring and the fee payable for giving notice of your intention to marry.

Find further information on marrying abroad on GOV.UK.