Go to navigation

Marry in Medway

Before you marry, it is a legal requirement that both of you must give notice of the marriage at your local register office. If you and your partner live in different districts you will need to attend separate register offices to give notice. Even if your ceremony will be held outside of Medway, you must give your notice of marriage or civil partnership in the district where you live.

A legal wedding must take place in a building approved for the celebration of marriages. Places where wedding ceremonies take place can also be used for civil partnerships ceremonies, which can also take place in some religious buildings.

The notices of marriage must be given in person and are valid for 12 months, but bookings for the actual ceremony or civil partnership formation can be made before this. You must have lived in that district for a minimum of seven days immediately before you give your notice. Find out about marriages and civil partnerships in the UK on GOV.UK.

Book an appointment

Book an appointment to give notice of your marriage

Phone: 01634 33 88 99

You will need to show us proof of your age, name, nationality, marital status and address when giving notice of a marriage or civil partnership. Find out what documents you will need to bring to the register office on GOV.UK.

Church weddings

The Church of England and the Church in Wales can register a marriage at the same time as performing the religious ceremony. You must first get in touch with the minister of vicar responsible for the church building where you wish to marry.

Ceremony choices

We understand how important it is to you for your wedding day to be individual and special. Ceremonies for civil weddings in Medway can be customised by the couple marrying. Find out more about the wide variety of choices you have to personalise your ceremony.

From 10 December 2014 it has been possible to convert a civil partnership into a marriage.