Go to navigation
Fair Trader Scheme: information for consumers
The Medway Fair Trader Scheme is a Medway Trading Standards
Service initiative. The aim of the scheme is to improve business
standards and increase customer confidence in member businesses.
Approved businesses have agreed to abide by the terms and
conditions of the scheme and have been checked by Trading Standards
to ensure compliance.
Each year Medway Council's Trading Standards Service receives
around 5,000 complaints about businesses in Medway. A significant
number of these are associated with home improvements. This scheme
is a positive move to improve the way in which traders deal with
consumers. There is no place in it for rogue traders who do not
care for customer satisfaction or compliance with the law.
Benefits for consumers
- Consumers can check with Trading Standards to see which
businesses are members of the scheme before purchasing goods or
- The scheme is voluntary. By joining the scheme, businesses are
demonstrating a commitment to customer care and fair trading.
- Trading Standards will continue to work closely with scheme
members and will carry out monitoring exercises to ensure high
standards are maintained.
Medway Fair Trader Scheme members provide the following
- They comply with the law.
- Contract terms are fair, in plain English and clearly
- Pricing is clear and information about payment methods is
- No repair or servicing work will be carried out without the
- Parts replaced during repair or servicing are made available
- Itemised invoices are provided.
- The business operates an effective customer complaints
Approval of a business does not mean that the Trading Standards
- can guarantee its financial stability;
- has individually checked the quality of any goods or services
- gives any guarantee or warranty as to the value for money of
goods or services compared with a competitor or that they will be
How to find out whether a business is a member of the
Look for the distinctive Medway Fair Trader Scheme logo on
business premises, documentation and advertisements.
Trading Standards has an up-to-date list of members. You can
also search the database of businesses already on the
Whilst we make every effort to ensure that members comply with
the law we cannot guarantee that their work will never give rise to
a complaint. Further information is found under scheme's
Add this page to my Quick Links: Add page
Send this page to a friend: Send