Go to navigation

Club Permits

This applies to members’ clubs, commercial clubs and miners’ welfare institutes, which are already offering gaming machines and other gaming.

Registered Clubs before the Licensing Act 2003 came into force were issued either a Part II or Part III Registration by the Medway Magistrates Court - this ceased as of 1 September 2007. Medway Council have taken on the responsibility of gaming machines and other gaming as part of the Gambling Act 2005.

If you hold a Club Premises Certificate under the Licensing Act 2003 you can apply for either of the two permits depending on what gaming you wish to take place on the premises

There are two types of permits

  • Club Gaming Permit (equivalent to the Part II Registration under 1968 Act).  This allows members' club or a miners' welfare institute to offer no more than three gaming machines, equal chance gaming and provision of facilities for games of chance.
  • Club Machine Permit (equivalent to the Part III Registration under 1968 Act).  This allows all three categories of clubs to offer no more than three gaming machines and equal chance gaming.


There are a number of fees associated with these permits including annual fees.


Both permits will last for 10 years.


For more information contact Licensing Unit by telephone: Licensing Services - 01634 337107 or 337108 / Enforcement - 01634 337112 or 337106 or by email: licensing@medway.gov.uk

Write to: Licensing Unit, Medway Council, Gun Wharf, Dock Road, Chatham, Kent ME4 4TR