Go to navigation

Changing a Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS)

If the DPS has left a premises, a new one must be appointed immediately. There is an application process that must be completed before you are authorised to sell alcohol on the premises.

How to be appointed the DPS

The premises licence holder will need to apply, completing  the form: Application to vary a premises licence to specify an individual as designated premises supervisor (pdf 277KB). To download this pdf you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you do not have this on your computer, please use our advice page.

The person who is applying to be DPS will need to complete a DPS consent form (pdf 114KB). 

This person will be given day to day responsibility for running the premises by the premises licence holder.

You will need to attach the existing Premises Licence (not the Premises Licence Summary, which is on display at the premises). If you do not have the original or a certified copy, you must pay £10.50 for a duplicate copy.

On submitting your application to the council's Licensing Unit, you must pay the application fee of £23.

You will also be required to submit a copy of your application to:

The Licensing Officer
Kent Police
Medway Police Station
Purser Way
Kent  ME7 1NE.

Once the Licensing Unit has accepted the application as complete, you will be allowed to sell alcohol immediately and will not be in breach of the mandatory conditions.

Where there are frequent changes of supervisor, the premises licence holder may submit the form in advance, specifying the date when the new individual will be in post and when the change will take effect.

Breach of mandatory condition

If you are authorised under the Premises Licence for the retail sale of alcohol the following mandatory condition is placed on your licence.

No supply of alcohol may be made under this licence at a time when:

  • there is no DPS; or
  • the DPS does not hold a personal licence or his or her personal licence is suspended.

Every retail sale or supply of alcohol made under this licence must be made or authorised by a person who holds a personal licence.

The government considers it essential that police officers, fire officers and the council as the licensing authority can immediately identify the DPS so that any problems can be dealt with swiftly. The police can, at any stage after the appointment of a DPS, seek a review of a premises licence on any grounds relating to the licensing objectives if anxieties arise about the performance of the supervisor.

For more information contact Licensing Unit by telephone: Licensing Services - 01634 337107 or 337108 / Enforcement - 01634 337112 or 337106 or by email: licensing@medway.gov.uk

Write to: Licensing Unit, Medway Council, Gun Wharf, Dock Road, Chatham, Kent ME4 4TR