Go to navigation

Fees for licensed premises


All fees are non-refundable whether you withdraw your application, your application is refused or that your licence is granted but you no longer wish to trade.  The fees are set by government and not Medway Council.

Premises Licences and Club Premises certificates

Fees for these licences are based on the rateable value of the premises, which can be found on the Valuation Office website. Please note that the rateable value determines the fee, not the non-domestic rate band, which does not correspond with the licensing band set out below:

Rateable value (£) Licensing band New application fee (£)
Up to 4,300 A 100
4,300 - £33,000 B 190
33,001 - £87,000 C 315
87,000 - 125,000 D 450
125,001 and above E 635

If you do not have a rateable value for your premises, you will pay the band A fee at first. If, at a later stage, a rateable value has been set or altered within the consultation period, you will need to pay any differences. Any alterations to the rateable value will effect your annual maintenance fee.

Premises Licence and Club Premises Certificate holders must pay a new application fee and an annual maintenance fee to the council on the anniversary of the licence or certificate being issued.

In addition, a multiplier will be applied to establishments in town and city centres in bands D and E that are exclusively or primarily in the business of selling alcohol: band D (x 2) and band E (x 3).

Holding licensable activities for more than 5,000 people

If it is proposed to allow 5,000 or more people on the licensed premises at one time during licensable activities, an additional fee is required:

Occupancy Additional fee (£) Annual fee (£)
5,000 - 9,999 1,000 500
10,000 - 14,999 2,000 1,000
15,000 - 19,999 4,000 2,000
20,000 - 29,999 8,000 4,000
30,000 - 39,999 16,000 8,000
40,000 - 49,999 24,000 12,000
50,000 - 59,999 32,000 16,000
60,000 - 69,999 40,000 20,000
70,000 - 79,999 48,000 24,000
80,000 - 89,999 56,000 28,000
90,000 and over 64,000 32,000

Personal Licence

  • Application fee is £37.
  • Renewal fee is £37.

Temporary Event Notice

Notice fee is £21.

Application to vary a licence to specify a Designated Premises Supervisor

Application fee is £23.

Application for the transfer of Premises Licence Holder

Application fee is £23. 

Theft or loss of a Premises Licence or Summary

If a Premises Licence or summary has been lost or stolen, the licence holder must pay for a replacement at a cost of £10.50.

Change of name or address

If a licence holder changes their name or address, they must inform the council. Failure to do so is an offence. The licence holder must pay for the administration process at a cost of £10.50.

Clubs - change of name or alteration of rules

A club must pay the council for the administration process to enter a change of name or an alteration to its rules at a cost of £10.50.

Clubs - change of relevant registered address

A club must pay the council for the administration process to alter its registered address at a cost of £10.50.

Theft or loss of a Temporary Event Notice (TEN)

If a TEN has been lost or stolen, the holder must pay for a replacement at a cost of £10.50.

Interim Authority

The owner, lessor or employees may apply for an interim authority when a premises licence holder dies or becomes bankrupt or mentally incapable. The fee to accompany the application is £23.

Notification of Interest

A person or company with a property interest can apply to be notified of any changes relating to the premises over a 12-month period. The fee to accompany the application is £21.

Application for a Provisional Statement

Where premises are being built or altered before a licence is applied for, a provisional statement is needed at a cost of £315.


If a Premises Licence or Club Premises Certificate is issued with an authorisation for the provision of Regulated Entertainment only and the premises is one of the following, it will be exempt from an application fee and annual fees:

  • school;
  • college;
  • educational institution;
  • church hall;
  • village hall;
  • community hall.

Please note that if alcohol and/or late night refreshment are for sale (including hot drinks and food after 11pm) at the premises, they will not be exempt from the legislation.

Making a payment

Applications will be returned if a fee is not included or paid before you send the documentation.  Please see how to make licensing payments.


For more information contact Licensing Unit by telephone: 01634 337107 or 337108 / Enforcement - 01634 337112 or 337106 or by email: licensing@medway.gov.uk

Write to: Licensing Unit, Medway Council, Gun Wharf, Dock Road, Chatham, Kent ME4 4TR