Go to navigation

Provisional Statement

Where premises are being built, extended or substantially changed structurally, the necessary investment may not be committed unless investors are assured not only that the project has appropriate planning permission but also that they have some additional assurance that a premises licence would be granted for the premises when the building work is completed. The applicant could be a firm of architects, a construction company or a financier.

Application process

The application must describe the work to be done and the licensable activities intended to take place on completion. The application must be advertised and copied to the responsible authorities in a similar way to the arrangements for an application for a Premises Licence.

Applicants will be required to complete and produce the following:

They must also advertise the application and send copies to the responsible authorities.

If you don't have Word, you may download the application for a provisional statement (pdf 1402KB). To download this pdf you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you do not have this on your computer, please use our advice page.

Application form

An application form can be obtained from the council by contacting the licensing team who can arrange for an application to be left at reception or by sending the application in the post. 

Council staff must be able to read the form easily. If areas of the form are left blank or items omitted, the form will be returned to the applicant as an invalid application.

Apply online

Apply for a provisional statement.

Will tacit consent apply?

Tacit consent will apply to online application. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the council by the end of the stated target completion period which is 28 days.


For more information contact Licensing Unit by telephone: Licensing Services - 01634 337107 or 337108 / Enforcement - 01634 337112 or 337106 or by email: licensing@medway.gov.uk

Write to: Licensing Unit, Medway Council, Gun Wharf, Dock Road, Chatham, Kent ME4 4TR