Go to navigation

Making Licensing Payments

The Licensing Unit can take payments for applications.

Types of Payment

Debit card and credit card payments by telephone

The Licensing Unit can process your payment instantly. When payments are accepted, it can issue you with a receipt via email or send you confirmation in the post. Please have your payment card ready for a member of the unit to enter on the computer system. They will ensure that your card details and personal information remain secure and confidential when using the system.

Please do not leave your payment details on voicemail.

Cheques payable to Medway Council

The Licensing Unit can take cheques. All cheques are then forwarded to the council's cashiers for processing. Once this is done, a receipt is sent to licensing which is then sent out to the applicant. This can take some time, so please be patient. In some cases the licensing team is unable to complete the processing of your application until the payment is confirmed.


We are unable to take cash payments in licensing. 

You can make payments by cash by visiting the Strood Contact Point using the automated till.  Payments must be made using an appropriate payment slip or other information to identify the payment.  Please note that their is a delay in making cash payments as all documents goes to our cashiers department for processing of the payment and then forwarded to licensing unit.

Annual Fee Payment

If you hold any of the following licences/permits you will receive an annual invoice:-

  • Licensing Act 2003 - Premises Licences and Club Premises Certificates
  • Gambling Act 2005 - Premises Licences, Club Gaming Permits, Club Machine Permits, Licensed Premises Gaming Machine Permit

You are required to pay an annual fee on the anniversary of the granting of the licence/permit.  The fee reflects the costs for all council departments for administration, enforcement and inspection of the premises.

All the above methods of payment are acceptable but you must also quote the premises name and reference code when making a payment. The reference code will be on the invoice that is sent out from the Council Finance Department.  If you have lost the invoice please contact the licensing team.

For more information contact Licensing Unit by telephone: Licensing Services - 01634 337107 or 337108 / Enforcement - 01634 337112 or 337106 or by email: licensing@medway.gov.uk

Write to: Licensing Unit, Medway Council, Gun Wharf, Dock Road, Chatham, Kent ME4 4TR