Go to navigation

Scrap metal dealers Act 2013

Any person collecting, buying or selling scrap metal must have a Scrap Metal Dealer Licence.

The Home Office has created a number of guidance documents which are available on their website.

Application process

To assist applicants in the application process please read these Word documents carefully.

If you don't have Word, you may download the pdf versions:

To use these files, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you do not have this on your computer, please use our advice page.


This authority is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, and to this end may use the information you have provided for the prevention and detection of fraud. It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes.

Medway Council is a Data Controller under the Data Protection Act 1998. We hold information for the purposes specified in our Data Protection Notification made to the Information Commissioner and may use this information for any of them. We may get information about you from others, or we may give information to them. If we do, we will only do so as the law permits, to check accuracy of information or prevent or detect crime. We may check information we receive about you with what is already in our records. This can include information provided by you as well as by others such as government departments and statutory agencies. We will not give information about you to anyone outside Medway Council unless the law permits us to do so.

Consumer complaint

If you are a customer of a scrap metal dealer, you should first contact the operator, preferably in writing, with proof of delivery. If that does not work and if you are located in the UK, the CAB Adviceguide will give you advice. From outside the UK, contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Unlicensed Scrap Metal Dealers

The collecting of scrap metal is becoming increasingly common, particularly in the current economic crisis. There have also been reports around the country of metal thefts from churches, schools and other property.  Some individuals are cold-calling householders and taking away scrap metal.

Items such as washing machines and other household goods are picked up, stripped of any valuable assets and then dumped illegally, often on waste ground or on estates.  The cost to the public purse is enormous and the cost to the environment is vast.

We also remind residents that if they allow goods to be taken away by an unlicensed carrier they too could be liable for prosecution.

A licensed collector will display a collector's licence issued by Medway Council this should be visible to you from outside their vehicle and will include the Council logo.  As of 1 October 2013, a collector can no longer pay you in cash for any scrap metal they collect from you.  Payment can only be made by cheque or electronic transfer.  When taking scrap to a licensed site, you will need to take formal ID with you, for example a passport or DVLA drivers licence, and the site manager must record these details.

If you think that you have been approached by an unlicensed Scrap Metal Dealer, please report it to the licensing team. To investigate these complaints we need information such as to the date, time, location, vehicle registration, make, model, description of person(s) and what makes you think they are not licensed.  Please telephone the Customer Contact team who will be happy to forward your information to the Licensing Enforcement team, alternatively, please email the team directly at the email address below.

Trade associations


For more information contact Licensing Unit by telephone: Licensing Services - 01634 337107 or 337108 / Enforcement - 01634 337112 or 337106 or by email: licensing@medway.gov.uk

Write to: Licensing Unit, Medway Council, Gun Wharf, Dock Road, Chatham, Kent ME4 4TR