Go to navigation

Objecting to Sex Establishment

Any person can object to an application. This includes residents/tenants, associations, community associations and trade associations. Councillors and MPs may also raise objections. Elected councillors may represent interested parties, providing they do not also sit on the panel/ committee hearing the application.

The Licensing Authority will not consider objections that are frivolous or vexatious, or which relate to moral/religious grounds or values. Any objections on this basis will be rejected or disregarded in part.  Where objections are rejected or disregarded the objector will be informed in writing indicating the general grounds and what part of the objection is rejected or disregarded.

A vexatious objection is generally taken to be one that is repetitive, without foundation or made for some other reason such as malice. A frivolous objection is generally taken to be one that is lacking in seriousness.

Making an objection

Objections to the application must be made in writing and be received by the Licensing Authority within 28 days of the application being made. The objection must contain:

  • the name and address of the person or organisation making the objection;
  • the premises to which the objection relates;
  • the proximity of the premises to the person making the objection;
  • the general terms of the objection.

The Licensing Authority may only consider petitions that include the following:

  • an outline of the main issues of concern at the top of each page;
  • each person's name, address, signature, date and personal concerns/reason for objection;
  • one person on the petition to be the nominated contact.

The general terms of any objection must be provided to the applicant prior to the determination of the application. 

The report to the relevant panel/committee may have full details of the objectors and their objection, it will include any actions/undertaking proposed by the applicant to address the matters raised in the objections.

For more information contact Licensing Unit by telephone: Licensing Services - 01634 337107 or 337108 / Enforcement - 01634 337112 or 337106 or by email: licensing@medway.gov.uk

Write to: Licensing Unit, Medway Council, Gun Wharf, Dock Road, Chatham, Kent ME4 4TR