Go to navigation

Consumer advice

Advice and support for consumers in Medway is provided by the Citizens Advice Consumer Service (CACS), part of the Citizens Advice Bureaux.

CACS provides clear, practical advice to help consumers sort out problems and disagreements with suppliers of goods or services. From overcharging, faulty goods, and poor workmanship to reporting dishonest traders and scams, CACS has trained advisers who are ready to offer individual solutions for individual problems.

CACS works in partnership with local authority trading standards advice services and consumer support networks, providing first level advice and information on a wide range of consumer problems.  Where criminal offences may have been committed, these are referred to Trading Standards.

To speak to a Citizens Advice Consumer Service adviser phone 0345 04 05 06 (Minicom users should phone on 0345 28 13 84) or visit the Citizens Advice website which also offers a wide range of consumer information and advice.

Consumer complaints

Calls from consumers provide the Trading Standards Team with valuable information about Medway retailers and helps it plan enforcement campaigns that target rogue traders and specific problem areas.

Contact the team by emailing consumer.protection@medway.gov.uk or complete an online form if, for example, you are concerned that a shop:

  • is selling out-of-date food or drink;
  • is not selling the full weight of a product as advertised on the package;
  • has sold you a product that does not meet current safety regulations.

Poor service

The Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982  states that you are entitled to have any contract for services carried out with "reasonable care and skill." Any goods provided as part of that service should also be of "satisfactory quality."

For more information on your legal rights, please contact the team or visit http://medway.tradingstandards.uk/.


If you bought goods which are not faulty or misdescribed, there is no breach of contract between you and the trader and you do not have a right to expect a refund.

Some stores will allow customers to return goods if they do not fit but this is over and above the customer service they are obliged in law to provide. Make sure that you ask the trader before buying if you can get your money back if, for example, the clothes do not fit. If the trader is willing to offer you this service, get them to put it in writing on your receipt.

Many businesses ask for proof of purchase when you take goods back to a shop for a refund, exchange or repair. If you have not been given a receipt or have lost it, a bank or credit card statement indicating the date of purchase and price of the goods will often suffice.