Go to navigation

Help for birth relatives of adopted children

Services available for birth families include:

  • support with contact arrangements
  • adoption support needs assessment
  • intermediary services
  • access to counselling  

Who can ask for adoption support?

Medway works with birth parents, brothers and sisters, grandparents, aunts and uncles who have been separated from their relatives through adoption.

Counselling and contact

Birth parents, grandparents, brothers and sisters of the adopted child may suffer feelings of grief, loss, anger, guilt, depression and confusion. These feelings can be around long after the adoption has happened.

Counselling and talking to others can help you feel less isolated and enable you to explore the painful and difficult feelings around adoption. It can also help you to understand the process.

We can offer you counselling through the Post Adoption Centre (PAC) and you can refer yourself at any time by contacting them direct. We can also offer support with contact arrangements. It is considered better for the child to grow up knowing their origins and for adoptive parents to encourage this.

Will my child be able to find me after adoption?

From the age of 18, your child, like any other adopted adult, has the right to have a copy of their original birth certificate if they want it. This will show their original name, the name of their birth mother and possibly the name of their birth father, as well as the address where they were living when their birth was registered.

There is a National Adoption Contact register, which helps to put adopted people and their birth family in contact with each other if this is what they both want. You record your name and contact address on this register; then, if your adopted adult child chooses to trace you, they can get information about you from the register. It is up to your child to decide whether or not to contact you.