Go to navigation

FAQs about care payments

Do I need to sell my house to pay for my residential or nursing care?

No. It is possible for Medway Council to place a legal charge on the property which would only be enforced once you no longer needed care.

Why do you need to know all about my finances?

We need to know this so that we can ensure you are not being charged more than you can afford to pay and that everyone is charged in the same way.

Can you explain the 'care cap' to me?

The care cap does not start until April 2016. Information can be found on the GOV.uk site.

What will happen if I refuse to pay for my care?

We will do all that we can to make your care affordable to you, but if you are assessed to make a contribution, you must pay. Refusal to pay will mean considering further action which could include taking you to court. If people do not pay their contributions, it can lower the amount of care that we can offer to other residents in Medway.

Can I give my money away to my children?

You can give money to your children in the same manner as you have been throughout your life. But you still need to pay for your care. Any attempt to avoid this by giving large sums of money away can be considered to be deprivation and we would continue to charge you as though you still had that money.

Can I have help to claim state benefits?

If you receive care from us, we will carry out a benefit check for you to see if you should be claiming anything else. We will then arrange for someone from the Department of Work and Pensions to visit you to help you claim these benefits.

How do I pay for my care?

You will receive an invoice from us every 4 weeks for the last 4 weeks of care. The easiest way to pay this is by Direct Debit; your Customer Contact Officer will help you set this up. You can also pay at your bank or post office by cash or cheque, or by phone on 01634 33 33 33. Riverside One and Strood Contact Point have automated payment machines where you can deposit either cash or cheques.

What happens if I do not agree with the amount you are charging me?

If you think your assessed charge is wrong, you should contact your Customer Contact Officer on 01634 33 31 31. If you have been charged for care that you have not received, you need to contact the income team on 01634 331 432.

What happens if I want to go into a care home that charges more than the council is willing to pay?

If you choose a home that charges above the amount we can provide, either a relative or a friend will need to pay the extra. They will need to give us evidence that they can afford to pay this top-up regularly.

If my account is in arrears and I need to pay extra to clear this, who do I need to speak to?

You will need to speak to Client Financial Services on 01634 331 556 to set up an instalment plan.

My mother has dementia and I cannot access her money. What should I do?

You need to contact the Department for Work and Pensions so that you can become her appointee. You will also need to become her Deputy for Property and Finance via the Court of Protection so that you can access her bank accounts and any private pensions she may have. If she did not have dementia but wanted assistance with her finances she would need to make an application to the Court of Protection for you to become her lasting power of attorney.