Go to navigation

Medway's social care services

The majority of disabled children already access universal services provided in the community such as schools, leisure activities and health services.

However, disabled children may require additional, specific support to help them aim for the best opportunities available to all children and young people. This could include more support at school, play or leisure activities sometimes called short breaks, and health services such as physiotherapy, occupational therapy and child and adolescent mental health services.

For a small group of disabled children and young people, specialist services are required. These specialist services can be provided by health and education or social care, either separately or as part of an EHC plan.

Where a social care service is needed, a social worker from either the 0-25 disability team or, in some cases, the safeguarding teams will work with the family to make an assessment of their needs.

Following the assessment, services will be offered to meet the needs identified and could include ongoing social work support, a referral to other specialist services, direct payments, a specialist short break such as residential and shared care or support with personal care.

Further information

Further information is available on the Local Offer website.

Read the Social Care Eligibility Criteria document.