Go to navigation

Advice on reporting an incident

When you are reporting an incident, remember the "4Ws":

  • When was the incident? Remember to make a note of the time, if possible.
  • What exactly did you see? What were you doing at the time? Try to remember what you actually saw, not what you thought you saw.
  • Who did you see? Try to make a note of the approximate age and height of the person, their gender and ethnicity. Also, try and remember what the person was wearing.
  • Where was the incident? Have a look around. If you don't know the area well, look for a landmark, like a pub or a shop name.

Useful telephone numbers

  • If you want to report a crime to the police, then, in an emergency only, call 999
  • For all other calls to the police, call 101
  • If you are calling Kent Police from overseas or from outside Kent, call 01622 690690
  • Alternatively, you can report a crime to Crimestoppers, free and anonymously, on 0800 555111
  • To report a racial incident call the Kent Racial Incident Reporting Line on Freephone 0800 1381624
  • To report a homophobic or transphobic incident call the Kent Homophobic Incident Reporting Line on Freephone 0800 3289162
  • If you do need to call the police, always ask for a Force-Wide Incident Number (FWIN)
  • If deaf or speech impaired text 'Police' and your message to 60066