Go to navigation
An abandoned vehicle is a vehicle without a known owner.
Medway Council has a duty to remove abandoned vehicles under the
and Disposal of Vehicles (England) (Amendment) Regulations
2002 and the Refuse
Disposal (Amenity) Act 1978.
The fact that a vehicle is untaxed does not necessarily mean it
has been abandoned. The enforcement authority for untaxed vehicles
is the Driver and Vehicle Licencing Agency (DVLA) which has its own
prosecution officers. The DVLA can be contacted on the Road Tax
Cheat line 08000 325 202.
A notice is fixed to any vehicle deemed to be abandoned and the
time that must elapse before the vehicle is removed depends on its
location and condition.
The council takes a robust approach to abandoned vehicles. If
you want to report an abandoned vehicle in Medway, you can contact
the council using the details below or visiting the
Love Medway page and selecting your
preferred option. Don't forget to give the following details:
- a contact name;
- a contact telephone number;
- the make, model, colour and registration number of the vehicle
- the exact location of the vehicle, which is important;
- confirmation as to whether there is a tax disc displayed and if
so the date on the disc;
- the condition of the vehicle, giving details of any damage or
Contact us online or by phone if:
- you have reported a vehicle and it hasn't been picked up;
- an abandoned vehicle notice is fixed to your car;
- your car has been removed (or phone the contact telephone
number on the notice).
Operation Cubit is a joint initiative between Medway Council,
the police and Driver and the DVLA to remove abandoned and
Add this page to my Quick Links: Add page
Send this page to a friend: Send