Go to navigation
Food and garden waste
Christmas Trees: For ease of collection please
leave your natural Christmas tree whole, beside your brown wheelie
bin / brown garden sacks.
Food and garden waste is now collected every
week on the same day as black sack rubbish. Collection times may
change so please present all waste by 7am on your usual collection
Garden waste will not be collected if placed in black sacks as
Each week you will be able to present
a maximum of
1x brown wheelie bin and 2x open (non-black) sacks
4x open (non-black) sacks
If you have more than this, additional garden waste can be taken
to our three household waste and recycling centre. For
more information on recycling please visit our A-Z recycling guide.
Find out about home composting and other tips on how to reduce your
Brown wheelie bin (food and garden waste)
- All food waste, including;
- Meat and fish (with or without bones)
- Plate scrapings
- Fruit and vegetable peelings and cores
- Egg shells
- Tea bags and coffee grounds
waste can be wrapped in compostable liners, newspaper or placed in
your brown wheelie bin loose. Only use compostable liners that show
the seedling logo (right), or says home compostable. Compostable
liners can be purchased from most local supermarkets or the
following link compostable kitchen caddy
Please do not to put plastic bags into your brown
bin; these are not compostable and will not rot
in the composting process.
- Grass and hedge clippings
- Garden prunings and weeds
- Small branches (no more than 5cm across)
- Dead plants
Brown wheelie bin - top tips
- Shredded paper that cannot be secured in the blue reusable bags
can be placed inside your brown wheelie bin.
- Food-soiled cardboard like pizza boxes can also be placed
inside your brown bin.
- Do not place turf, soil and hardcore into your brown wheelie
bin as these materials are not accepted.
- Bins that are too heavy will not be collected as they can
breaks whilst being emptied. If this happens a sticker will be
placed on the bin and you will need to empty some of the waste for
your next collection.
Brown garden sacks (garden waste only)
Due to licensing restrictions, we are unable to collect food
waste from sacks. Please only use open sacks for garden waste items
Brown garden sacks will only be provided to those residents
without a brown wheelie bin.
Smaller brown food bins
- Trialed since 2011 to some properties not
suitable for a brown wheelie bin.
- These are to be expanded to other households not
suitable for a brown wheelie bin in
- If your property is suitable for a brown wheelie bin, you will
not have the option of the smaller brown food bin.
Importance of food and garden waste recycling
- Wrapped food waste inside a brown wheelie bin with the lid
closed is more secure than if it was placed into the black plastic
rubbish sack. If rodents and pests do not rip open these
black sacks, your street stays cleaner.
- Recycling food waste costs about 50 per cent less than if it is
put in a black sack.
- The food waste is converted into compost by a natural process
and the majority of the product is then spread on local farms as a
- Rotting food in landfill generates methane, a greenhouse gas
that is around 20 times more potent than carbon dioxide.
- Garden waste presented in black sacks will not be collected
after 28 October 2013.
For more information on recycling please visit our A-Z recycling guide
Check your collection day
Find a tip/recycling centre
Add this page to my Quick Links: Add page
Send this page to a friend: Send