Go to navigation

Care, health and support

How can we help?

If what you're looking for isn't listed try the links at the bottom of this page or get in touch.


Health Improvement - A Better MedwayLogo for A Better Medway, Easier ways to be healthy

The health improvement team within our public health directorate offers a wide range of local tailored services and initiatives designed to improve the health and wellbeing of local people. 

A Better Medway gives everyone in Medway an opportunity to make small but significant changes that will lead to healthier, longer lives, for example:

Health services in Medway

Health services in Medway are planned and paid for by NHS Medway.

Everyone should be registered with a GP (family doctor). GP practices provide more than 80 per cent of NHS healthcare, including:

  • care to keep you well
  • examinations
  • diagnosis and treatment when you are ill
  • free NHS health checks
  • referral to other services if necessary.

Visit NHS Choices to find all local health services including:

  • clinics
  • GPs
  • NHS dentists
  • sexual health
  • mental health
  • emergency services.

Download a copy of the Community Services Directory (pdf 144KB). To use this file you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you do not have it on your computer, please use our advice page.

Getting the right care

When you or someone in your family becomes unwell, you want to get the right help quickly. There is a range of NHS services in Medway to help you, including at night and weekends.

Support for carers

Do you need to talk to someone? Find out about Medway's new counselling service for carers, Carers' line. Use the free phone number, internet or face-to-face sessions. You talk, we listen, we help.

If you care for someone with a long-term illness or disability, you may be eligible for respite care.

Are you worried about a child?

You can refer them to the council's children's social care service or you can phone the NSPCC helpline on 0808 800 5000.

Residential care and nursing homes

If you need full-time care because you are elderly, disabled or unwell, there are options. Take a look at our residential care homes page for more.

Round-the-clock services

Out-of-hours emergency requests for a social worker are dealt with under an arrangement with Kent County Council. Phone 0845 7626777.

Need help?

If you or someone in your family is having difficulty coping, the first step to getting help may be to contact Medway Council.

In this section you will find information about: