Go to navigation
Medway Council and Macmillan Welfare Benefits Service
The Medway Council Welfare Benefits Service has been running
since 1998 and then in September 2010 the Macmillan Service was
launched. It is a front line customer focused team, dealing
directly with clients in Medway to provide advice, information,
advocacy and representation on welfare benefit issues.
The two-part service is available to:
- qualifying people living in Medway; or
- people living with and beyond cancer, their carers and
Medway Council Welfare Benefit Service
Clients who need help and assistance with welfare benefit advice
and information should ask their Medway Council social care
professional to complete a referral to the team.
Self-referrals are not accepted to this part of the service.
However, referrals are welcomed from health professionals so long
as there is also open involvement with a Medway Council social care
team at date of referral. (This does not have to be ongoing for the
duration of the Welfare Benefits Service involvement).
Macmillan Welfare Benefit Team
The Macmillan Welfare Benefit Service provided by Customer
Contact in partnership with Macmillan Cancer Care and NHS Medway
offers a service to people who live in the ME1 to ME8 area and who
are living with and beyond cancer.
To contact the Macmillan Welfare Benefit Service please call on
01634 333511 or email email@example.com.
Click on any of the links below for more information:
team - what we do? - Services - Client groups - Social care support -
- works closely with social care staff, health professionals and
Macmillan information and support service
- accepts referrals from many other sources
- provides awareness sessions for people who work with
people affected by illness, disability and cancer
- arranges to visit people wherever is most convenient for them,
including their own home
- advises people of their entitlements and how to apply for
all their welfare benefit/tax credit
- helps people with other benefit issues, including challenging
unfavourable benefit decisions and representation at appeal
- refers/signposts people to other agencies that can help
them to deal with, for eg. debt, housing and employment
- home visits to assess circumstances and advise on benefits,
allowances and tax credits that may be available
- representation to relevant bodies such as Department for
Work and Pensions (DWP)
- training on a wide range of welfare benefits for internal
- benefit rate leaflets written and produced annually for
distribution among staff
- benefit talks and seminars, the content of which can be
adjusted to suit the requirement of the audience
- periodic benefit take-up campaigns with partner
The service supports the following client groups:
- children and families
- the elderly
- people affected by cancer and those with long term health
- people with a learning disability
- people with a physical disability
- young offenders
- people with addictions.
Macmillan Cancer Support
Macmillan Cancer Support improves the lives of people affected
by cancer. It provides a free phone and web service that
provides practical, emotional, financial and medical information,
directly from their team of cancer support specialists. Whatever
questions you, your family and carers have about cancer, you can
Visit www.macmillan.org.uk or
phone 0808 808 00 00.
Benefits rates for 2014/15
Download the Welfare Benefit
Rates leaflet for April 2014 to April 2015 (pdf 43KB).
To use this file you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you do
not have it on your computer, please use the advice page.