Go to navigation
Care leavers 18+
When you turn 18, you may be entitled to claim benefits such as
Support, Employment and Support Allowance,
Jobseekers Allowance and possibly Local Housing
Allowance, Housing Benefit and Council Tax
You may qualify for benefits under the general rules if you:
- less than £16,000 savings;
- satisfy the Habitual Residency Test;
- are not subject to Immigration Control;
- work less than 16 hours per week.
Income Support can be claimed by:
- lone parents;
- in full time, non advanced, relevant* education (under
20), BUT ONLY if you are estranged from your parents or
any person acting in their place because:
- you are estranged from them or an orphan;
- you are in physical or mortal danger;
- there is a serious risk to your physical or mental health.
Jobseekers Allowance can be claimed by:
- any person aged 18 and older who is fit, available and actively
Employment and Support Allowance in Youth can be claimed
- any person unable to work due to illness or disability (a
medical certificate from the GP will be required).
*relevant education = under 20
How to claim
To claim Income Support, Jobseekers Allowance or Employment and
Support Allowance in Youth call 0800 0556688
Housing Benefit, Local Housing Allowance and Council Tax
Care Leavers over 18 may be eligible for Local Housing
Allowance, Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit if they are
liable for such costs.
To be eligible for Local Housing Allowance or Housing Benefit, a
- have less than £16,000 in savings/capital;
- have a low enough income (how low depends on their
- be treated as liable to pay rent on their normal home;
- normally occupy that accommodation as their home;
- not be excluded from claiming.
If under 22 years of age and formerly provided with
accommodation by Social Services, they may not be restricted to a
‘single room rent determination’. Seek expert advice.
You may be able to get extra help from the social fund to set up
your new home, such as:
How to claim
To claim Local Housing Allowance, Housing Benefit and Council
Tax Benefit, phone 01634 332222 (Medway residents
Care Leavers 18+ leaflet
Download the Care Leavers 18
plus leaflet (pdf 73KB).
To use this file you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you do
not have it on your computer, please use the advice
Add this page to my Quick Links: Add page
Send this page to a friend: Send