Go to navigation

Social Fund - Funeral Payment


You may be able to get a Funeral Payment but it depends on the benefits you're getting, your relationship with the person who died and any other money, other than your personal savings, that may be available to help with the cost of the funeral.

Claimant or partner must be in receipt of:

Relationship with the person who has died

To be able to get a Funeral Payment you must also be either:

  • the partner of the deceased when they died
  • the parent of the deceased child, or have been responsible for the deceased child (and there is no absent parent) (unless they are getting one of the above qualifying benefits or were estranged from the child at the date of death)
  • the parent of a still-born child
  • a close relative or close friend of the deceased (and it is reasonable for you to accept responsibility for the funeral costs).


  • any of the following assets of the deceased will be fully taken into account: insurance payments, Occupational Pension schemes, burial club payments or equivalent, any contribution from a family member or charity, any funeral grant for a War Disablement Pensioner or any amount payable under a pre-paid funeral plan or equivalent.

How do you claim?

Download  Form SF200 or phone 0845 608 8580.

Funeral Payment leaflet

Download the Social Fund - Funeral Payment leaflet (pdf 59KB).

To use this file you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you do not have it on your computer, please use the advice page.