Go to navigation

Appeal against a property banding decision

Before you appeal against your property banding decision, consider the following questions carefully:

Have I provided the information or documents needed?

Kent Homechoice can only assess your housing situation based on the information you provide. If you have been asked to send in documentation such as a birth certificate, copy of passport or medical information, you must do it before you appeal, as this may change your priority.

Have any of my circumstances changed since the decision was made?

If your medical condition has worsened, you have had a baby or someone has moved in or out, tell us that your circumstances have changed.

Is my medical condition affected by my housing situation?

No matter how serious your medical condition, Kent Homechoice can only award you additional priority if your housing is having a significant impact on your medical condition. Find further information about medical assessments.

Why do I think my banding decision is wrong?

With a serious shortage of affordable housing and such a high demand for housing, Kent Homechoice must keep to the bands and criteria used in its allocation policy.

You may think your housing situation is unacceptable, but Kent Homechoice must assess your housing needs against all applicants on the housing register. On average, there are only 800 properties available to let each year, so Kent Homechoice must make sure all people are assessed fairly and consistently.

The use of the words "emergency" and "urgent" in the allocation policy mean extremely serious situations where someone’s health or life is at risk if they do not move immediately.

Appeal your banding decision

If you disagree with your banding decision, you must appeal within 21 days of your application being assessed.

Appeals received outside of this time may not be considered. Remember to say why you disagree with the decision and give any additional information that supports your case. Give the names and contact numbers of any professional people, for example social workers, who would be able to support your case.