Go to navigation
How do I end my tenancy?
Give the council notice
If you are planning to move out of your home
you must give Medway Council notice.
When doing this please note the following:
- You must give the council written notice that you wish to end
your tenancy, stating the date you wish to leave.
- You must give the council four weeks' notice that you wish to
end your tenancy and the notice must end on a Monday. We may agree
to end a tenancy on shorter notice if you or the tenant is moving
to a residential home or the tenant has died and you are a family
member dealing with their affairs.
- Medway Council will start the date of notice the following
Monday after the letter is received.
- You will be responsible for paying your rent until the end of
- You should inform us if you leave the property before the end
of your notice period.
If you move out without telling the council,
you will carry on being charged rent until the tenancy is ended
either by yourself or through a court order to end the tenancy.
It is in your interest to tell us that you
have moved, if you don’t considerable rent arrears may build up on
your tenancy. This will affect your re-housing prospects in the
To make this process easier for you there is a Notice of
Termination of Tenancy form available on request from the council.
To obtain a copy of this form please contact your housing
Add this page to my Quick Links: Add page
Send this page to a friend: Send