Go to navigation

Making home improvements

As a Medway Council tenant you need permission to make certain improvements to your home.

If you would like to make your own improvements, contact your Housing Officer with details of the improvements you would like to make. Your Housing Officer will be able to advise if you need permission for your plans and will arrange for permission to be granted if the works you propose are appropriate.  Alternatively you can complete the property alteration form and return it to Housing Services. 

Compensation for improvements

If you are a secure tenant of Medway Council you are entitled to paid compensation when your tenancy comes to an end for certain improvements you carried out to your home.

Introductory and flexible tenants do not have this right. If a tenancy ends because of the death of the tenant, or other special circumstances, compensation can still be paid to their estate.

Find out more on qualifying for compensation, the process and how compensation is calculated.

Handyman Service

We also offer a Handyman Service which may be able to help you with small jobs or improvements that are your responsibility. Find out what jobs our Handyman can help you with.

The service is free, but can only be used by a tenant for 2 hours per year.

To be eligible for the service you must have a clear rent account and no breaches of the tenancy.

Find out if you are eligible and request help from the Handyman Service.