Go to navigation

Housing complaints

Medway Council’s Housing Services values customers’ compliments, comments and complaints as they provide feedback on our performance that helps us to improve our services.

Medway Council Housing Services incorporates a wide range of services including:


A complaint is an expression of dissatisfaction about the standard of service that you have received. Medway Council’s Housing Services hopes that the service you receive is always of a quality you would expect. However, there may be times when you feel unhappy with the service that has been provided and you wish to make a complaint. Housing Services values complaints as they help to highlight areas where we need to improve our services.

When dealing with complaints we will:

  • listen to you;
  • investigate all complaints thoroughly;
  • acknowledge and learn from our mistakes;
  • apologise where mistakes have been made and do what we can to put things right quickly;

To make a complaint please go to Medway Council's complaints page.

Housing Ombudsman

From 1 April 2013 if your complaint is about a housing matter it will be dealt with by the Housing Ombudsman and not the Local Government Ombudsman. The Housing Ombudsman Service is independent of the council and investigates complaints about the Council’s Housing Landlord’s service only. If you have gone through our complaints procedure but are still unhappy, you have the right to ask for your complaint to be considered by a designated person. A designated person can be an MP, councillor or residents' panel. Their role is to try to resolve a complaint in one of two ways:

  • they can try and resolve the complaint themselves, or
  • they can refer you straight to the Housing Ombudsman Service

If you do not want your complaint to be considered by a designated person you may contact the Housing Ombudsman service. You may only do this at least eight weeks after you have been through our complaints procedure.

The Housing Ombudsman Service is an independent body set up to provide a free and fair way of dealing with complaints against housing organisations.

You can contact the Housing Ombudsman Service in the following ways:

Write: Housing Ombudsman Service, 81 Aldwych, London WC2B 4HN
Phone: 0300 111 3000
020 7831 1942
Website: http://www.housing-ombudsman.org.uk/

The Housing Ombudsman will normally expect you to have gone through all stages of Medway Council's complaints procedure and have waited at least eight weeks before contacting them unless you are referred straight to them by a designated person.

How Housing Services monitors complaints

The Housing Management Team will receive regular performance monitoring reports on complaints that have been received by all service areas.

The performance reports will include the following, as a minimum:

  • the number of stage one and stage two complaints received by Housing Services overall and by each housing service area;
  • the percentage of stage one and stage two complaints responded to on time by Housing Services overall and by each Housing Service area;
  • the number of Ombudsman complaints received.

For more information contact us by telephone: 01634 306000 or by email: housing@medway.gov.uk

Write to: Medway Council, Gun Wharf, Dock Road, Chatham, Kent ME4 4TR