Go to navigation

Empty properties (private housing version)

We have a legal duty to make properties secure where they empty and in some cases dangerous.

Report a property that is not secure. For example, if it is empty or has broken windows or doors.

Where properties have a seriously detrimental effect on a local area or where there are issues with fly tipping, pests or any other environmental issues, details of these will be considered by other services within the council. Please contact us on 01634 333333 for further information.

Tracing an empty property owner

  • Fasten a notice to the door of the empty property saying that you would like to contact the owner
  • Talk to neighbours and any neighbourhood community groups, as well as local shopkeepers, who may know the owner
  • Search the District Land Registry. If you fill in Form 313, the details will be sent to you within 48 hours at a cost of £4. This can be a useful way to find the owner’s name but the address given is often the same as the empty property address
  • If the land is not registered, search the Land Charges Registry. Form K15, which costs £4, will give you the owner’s details if there are any charges against the property (for example a second mortgage) or if bankruptcy papers have been filed
  • If the property is in a rural area, contact the clerk of the parish council.
  • Contact HM Land Registry

Find out more information at the Empty Homes Agency.