Go to navigation

Private landlords

The Private Sector Housing Team works with landlords on a variety of services and gives advice, information and support where needed.

Homebond Scheme

The council operates a bond scheme to help tenants secure privately rented accommodation. If you have a property that you think would be suitable for the scheme, please contact the Housing Department at housing@medway.gov.uk or by telephone 01634 333600. The property will need to be inspected by the Private Sector Housing Team.

Multi Occupancy Bond

Following the restrictions imposed by the new single accommodation rate (SAR) for single households under the age of 35, Medway Council foresees a large demand for rooms in shared houses in the near future. As the current Homebond scheme is not suitable for assisting clients to secure a room in a shared house, a new tool has been developed to assist those affected by the SAR changes to secure accommodation.

Property List

Advertise your property through Medway Council's database to potential tenants. Please note all properties will be inspected before accepting on the property list, except if you are an accredited landlord

Tenant Information Pack

Download the Tenant Information Pack (pdf 81KB) which you can give to new tenants moving into your properties. To download this and other pdfs you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you do not have it on your computer, please use the advice page.

Landlords' and landlord's agents' responsibilities

Tenancy deposit scheme

From April 2007, all deposits taken by landlords and letting agents for assured shorthold tenancies must be protected by one of the three government Tenancy Deposit Protection schemes. Find out more at Deposit protection schemes and landlords or phone 0845 609 0696.

Energy performance certificate

From October 2008, Energy Performance Certificates must be available and shown to all potential tenants on all rented properties. Find out more at http://epc.direct.gov.uk/index.html.

Gas safety certificates

Find out how to carry out gas safety checks at your property and how often you should do them.

Periodic electrical inspection and testing for rented accommodation

The Electrical Safety Council (ESC) recommends that the periodic inspection and testing is carried out at least every five years or on change of tenancy. However, housing organisations that keep an up-to-date record of the condition of their housing stock and work to a written maintenance programme and periodic testing regime may be in position to justify a longer period between inspection and tests. To find out more, phone the ESC on 0870 0400561, email enquiries@electricalsafetycouncil.org.uk or visit www.esc.org.uk

Houses in multiple occupation (HMO)

The HMO management order states that periodic inspection and testing must be done at least every five years. Find out more about landlords' responsibilities for HMOs.

Fire safety

A risk assessment under the Housing Health Safety Rating System (HHSRS) is likely to identify the need for working smoke alarms if they are not already present.

Emergency and general contact numbers

You must provide your tenant with an out-of-hours contact number in case of emergencies and also a general contact number for the tenant to contact you to report any maintenance issues.

Useful links

Landlord Action

The Landlord Action website provides a whole range of services, including, free advice on tenancy issues, how to avoid bad tenants and letting agents, debt recovery, tracing tenants and tenant referencing. For further information, phone 020 8906 3838.

The Electrical Safety Council (ESC)

ESC is an independent charity committed to reducing deaths and injuries through electrical accidents at home and work. It provides advice on electrical safety for landlords. The council is supported by all sectors of the electrical industry as well as local and central government and works to promote safety and good practice. Download the landlord's guide to electrical safety booklet. For further information, phone 0870 040 0561.

Landlords Energy Saving Allowance (LESA)

If you are a landlord and make energy saving improvements to your property, such as loft and cavity wall insulation, you could reduce the tax you pay by claiming the Landlord's Energy Saving Allowance. To find out if you are eligible, visit the Green Deal or energy saving for your home or business.

Housing Benefit

Local Housing Allowance (LHA) helps the council to work out Housing Benefit for people on low incomes who rent from private landlords. It takes into account the area they live in and the number of people occupying their property. For further information on who it applies to and how this will affect you, phone 01634 332222.

Legal advice and support

Citizens Advice Bureaux

Citizens Advice Bureaux offer free information and advice to help people resolve their legal, money and other issues.


Shelter is a registered charity that offers information and advice for all housing issues.

Enforcement policy

Download the Housing Enforcement policy (pdf 146KB) and the Diversity Impact Assessment screening form (pdf 80KB).

For more information contact Private Sector Housing by telephone: 01634 333600 or by email: housing@medway.gov.uk

Write to: Private Sector Housing, Medway Council, Gun Wharf, Dock Road, Chatham, Kent ME4 4TR