Go to navigation
Old Brook Pumping Station
Since the 16th century there has been some form of earth dam
that has cut Chatham off from the River Medway. This was originally
called the Land Wall. In more recent times, it has become the river
wall, part of the flood defences. The geography of the town meant
that it suffered from frequent flooding and poor drainage right up
until the beginning of the 20th century.
The Brook Pumping Station was built as part of a major project
to sort out Chatham's drainage problems. It was opened in 1929 to
lift foul water from the lowest part of the town up to the
level of the main sewer at the New Road
Now listed as an ancient monument,
the Pumping Station was operational right up until 1980. The
machinery designed to carry out the task of keeping Chatham dry is
still in full working order and on view to the public.
The Old Brook Pumping Station is managed
and maintained by the Medway Industrial Archaeology Group with the
support of Medway Council.
- June to September: Saturdays, 11am-3pm
- October to May: first Saturday of the month, 11am-3pm
Entry is free-of charge.