Go to navigation


The council controls outdoor advertising through the Town and Country Planning (Control of Advertisements) Regulations 2007

Consent is required to display most types of advertisements except for some limited categories. A guide for advertisers on the Communities and Local Government department website gives a summary of the regulations.

The council can grant express consent for a period of five years and the regulations give deemed consent for certain categories of advertisement. Most illuminated advertisements need express consent.

The council can challenge any advertisement erected with deemed consent, requiring its removal if it is considered to affect the amenity of the area or public safety. The owner of the advertisement has a right of appeal to the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government.

Due to the complexity of the regulations, it is advisable to seek advice from the council before displaying an advertisement.

To apply for advertisement consent you need to complete the application form and validation checklist, supply plans and drawings, other relevant supporting information and fee.