Go to navigation

Dropped kerbs

A vehicle crossing (also known as a dropped kerb or drop kerb) is a strengthening of the highway to allow vehicles to pass regularly over the footway or verge. Before applying you should read the guidance and self assessment (pdf 2.96MB) document to familiarise yourself with the criteria for having a crossing installed.


To request a new vehicle crossing or alteration you can download either the VC1 application for permission to construct a vehicle crossing (pdf 291KB) for the council's contractor to provide a quotation or a private contractor VC2 application for permission to construct a vehicle crossing (pdf 1.35MB).

Report an illegally constructed vehicle crossing

How long will it take?

This varies depending on whether you need to have apparatus moved or perhaps have work done to a tree that is close to the area. For a straightforward application, it takes approximately two to three months, as the council's contractor has 30 working days to provide a quotation and 28 working days to do the work, once it has the order. If you need planning permission, you should allow an additional eight weeks for this to be determined. Please note that the cost for Planning Permission is currently £206.

How much will it cost?

Unfortunately we are unable to give you an exact costing for the construction of a vehicle crossing, as there are a number of dependant factors, such as how big the crossing will be, whether it will be constructed in tarmac or concrete and how wide the footpath is. 

Planning consent

The person who requests the crossing must pay for all construction costs, including planning consent (if required), repositioning of lamp columns, signs and adjustment of service boxes. If your property is an ex-council property you may also have to pay a fee to have any covenants removed allowing you to park a vehicle within the boundary of your property.

Be aware that planning consent must be obtained for the construction of crossings on to classified roads(pdf 301 KB)  (A, B, and C class roads)  and in conservation areas.

Planning consent will also be required if you are proposing to alter the levels of your garden to accommodate a hardstanding in which to park your vehicle on. Before allowing any contractor to construct a hardstanding within your property, you should ensure that highways approval is granted for the provision of a vehicle crossing otherwise you may find yourself paying for a hardstanding that you are subsequently not able to use.


If you have a tree outside of your property, where the root protection area falls within the proposed construction area, then highway permission will not be given. In accordance with the Council's Tree Policy, healthy street trees will not be removed in order to accommodate a vehicle crossing.

Construction and extensions of vehicle crossings

A vehicle crossing can be built in one of three ways:

  • The householder can ask the council to engage their contractor, Volker Highways, to do the work. The householder will be asked to pay the cost of the crossing plus an administration fee. The current inspection fee is £150.00. This process usually takes up to three weeks
  • The householder can use their own contractor to do the work. The householder will have to pay the council an inspection fee charge which is currently £195.00. The contractor will need to be accredited under the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 to work on the public highway and have £5million public liability insurance cover. The contractor must be on the council's Approved List of Contractors to undertake vehicle crossing works (pdf 192KB)
  • The householder can ask the council to construct a crossing or to extend an existing crossing while other major repairs or resurfacing work is being carried out in the same street. This may result in a reduced price for the crossing if the same contractor is used. You will receive written notification if works are being carried out in your street, giving you the opportunity to take advantage of the works.

Extending or altering existing crossings can be carried out in the same three ways.

The council also requires developers to construct a vehicle crossing where one is needed for a new development. The developer must gain permission from the Highway Network Management section before carrying out the works.

Any new or extended vehicle crossing constructed on public highway remains the responsibility of Medway Council.

Applicants should be aware that if there is a parking bay outside of the property where they wish to have a vehicle crossing constructed, an amendment will have to be made to the Traffic Regulation Order where the white lines will be burnt off and remarked, leaving the access to the new vehicle crossing clear. The costs associated with doing this are chargeable and will be borne by the applicant.