Go to navigation

How to have your say

There are a number of ways Medway residents can have their say on services run by the council and decisions being made by the council.

Speak to your councillor

You can write to, email or telephone your local councillor, a councillor who sits on the Cabinet or a committee which is to consider the matter you would like to speak about.

If you are unhappy about a local matter you can ask your councillor to raise a 'councillor call for action' so that your views are looked into.

Ask a question

Members of the public are able to ask a question at a meeting of the Full Council.

Read this ask a question at council guide and send your question to us, stating which Cabinet Member or Committee Chairman you wish to put it to.

Deadlines for sending in your questions during 2017/18 are:  

Council meeting                Deadline for submission of questions
Thursday 12 October 2017 Noon on Tuesday 3 October 2017
Thursday 25 January 2018 Noon on Tuesday 16 January 2018
Thursday 26 April 2018 Noon on Tuesday 17 April 2018

* We do not have public questions at the budget meeting in February or at Annual Council in May. 

Organise a petition

Call for action on a specific issue by organising a petition. Find out more on our petitions page.

Take part in consultation

A consultation is where members of the public are asked to discuss something that is being decided.

In some cases individuals or groups will be asked to complete surveys and opinion polls or meet to talk about a plan, problem or question.

Medway Council encourages all members of the community to take part in consultation and there are three ways we can gain views from the public about decisions that may affect them:

Medway Citizens' Panel

A Citizens’ Panel is a sample of local residents who have volunteered to regularly take part in local consultation. The panel is made up of around 1,500 members who, as a group, are representative of the area by geographical location, age, gender and ethnicity. Panel members are contacted four times a year via a postal survey and are sometimes asked to take part in a focus group or workshop.  

Medway Residents' Opinion Poll

This opinion poll is carried out by an independent research company on behalf of the council and includes the following topics:

  • Medway as a place to live
  • Image of the council
  • Satisfaction with services and reasons for dissatisfaction
  • Availability of information
  • How residents contact the council

The research company carries out approximately 1,100 face-to-face interviews with local residents in their own home. The results of the survey help with the improvement of all council services.

Focus groups

To make sure people are treated fairly and all residents get their views heard, the council often uses focus groups. During the past few years groups have participated in discussions on a wide range of topics.