Go to navigation
Improving rights of way
Public Rights of Way Improvement Plan (pdf
If you need a printed copy of the plan, this is available at a
cost of £10. Email email@example.com or write to
Public Rights of Way Team, Medway Council, Civic Centre annexe,
Strood, Kent, ME2 4AU.
Local access forum
and Rights of Way Act 2000 placed a duty on the council
to establish and maintain a Local Access Forum - an independent
advisory body to improve access to the Medway countryside and urban
Public Rights of Way for all users, while enabling landowners and
managers to make the best use of their land.
Medway Council, as the appointing authority, recruits up to 22
members, evenly distributed between these three representative
- users of the countryside, including walkers, cyclists,
horse-riders, vehicle users and disabled people
- owners and managers of land
- people involved in tourism, health, nature conservation,
education and transport.
The Chair and Vice-Chair are elected by the members at the
annual general meeting held in March each year.
The forum holds its meetings in March, June, September and
December. At the meetings the topics for discussion include:
- the Medway Council Public Rights of Way Improvement Plan
- responding to government consultations
- hearing about and advising on regeneration and environment
projects in Medway
- liaison with various other countryside and access forums
- bringing neglected pathways to the attention of the
Forum members volunteer their time to attend at least four
meetings a year and any training specifically designed to enhance
their skills in the role.
Do you have an interest that you can represent at meetings? For
example, do you:
- regularly use the countryside?
- own or manage accessible land?
- have expertise in sport, health, tourism, transport or
If so, the forum needs you.
If you would like to become a member of the forum, email
You can also visit the Local Access Forum's
website or email the Chair of the Local Access Forum at
Vacancies arise throughout the year and a warm welcome awaits
anyone with a little enthusiasm and time. There are no deadlines