Go to navigation
School travel plans
What is a School Travel Plan?
A School Travel Plan (STP) is a document relating to a specific
- sets out a number of practical steps for improving safety on
the school journey and for reducing the number of car trips made to
- provides your school community with a voice by identifying the
problems experienced by pupils, parents and local residents around
the school journey, and focuses on finding the right solutions for
- is a whole-school initiative and should demonstrate support and
ownership from children, staff, parents, governors and the wider
- enables parents and children to choose walking, cycling and
public transport with confidence and seeks to cut congestion at the
- does not have to concentrate on transport alone but can also
address health, safety, environment, education and social equity
- has clearly stated aims, objectives and targets which are
achievable, measurable and are supported by the whole school
- demonstrates a commitment to improving safety and reducing
- can take several forms. For example it may be a very simple
written statement of school policy, something created
electronically and publicised through the school website or virtual
learning platform, or a comprehensive document which deals with all
aspects of the school journey.
The main aims of an STP are to:
- reduce congestion outside the school gate;
- improve health and fitness through walking and cycling;
- allow parents and pupils to feel confident about walking,
cycling and using public transport to and from school;
- make sure children are aware of traffic dangers and road safety
and familiarise them with using public transport;
- make the journey safer to and from school;
- provide a focus for recognising road safety within the national
The need for an STP
The most important reason for an STP is to provide a safer route
and allow people to feel confident about using a more sustainable
method of travel to and from school.
It also contributes towards meeting the objectives outlined in
the Medway Local
Transport Plan 3 on reducing the growth in car use and
improving safety on the school journey.
Has your school got an up-to-date travel plan?
A STP is an evolving document, created and supported by a
working group, for example, parents, governors, pupils, teachers
and local residents. Together the group identifies the problems and
dangers outside the school and together they decide on measures to
eradicate or alleviate them.
The idea is to promote and encourage a safer
and more environmentally attractive network of ways for children to
get to and from school, as well as raising awareness of the health
and environmental implications of travel.
To find out more about school travel in
Medway, email firstname.lastname@example.org
or visit the Safer Journeys
Add this page to my Quick Links: Add page
Send this page to a friend: Send