Housing Benefit can help you pay for part or all of your rent.
You could get Housing Benefit if you:
- pay rent
- are on a low income or claiming benefits
- have savings below £16,000
You can apply if you’re unemployed or working. If you live with a partner, only one of you can get Housing Benefit.
How you're paid
If you pay your rent to Medway Council or MHS Housing, your Housing Benefit will be paid into your rent account and not to you directly.
If you get Universal Credit, your Housing Benefit will be included in your monthly payment and you will need to pay your rent directly to your landlord.
Your Housing Benefit will usually be paid from the Monday after we receive your application.
Changes to Housing Benefit
From 30 May we will only accept new Housing Benefit claims from:
- people in specified accommodation
- people who have more than 2 children
- people placed in temporary accommodation by Medway Council