This privacy notice explains how we use information in the course of our work as an Internal Drainage Board.
If you have questions about data or privacy contact our data protection officer by emailing GDPR@medway.gov.uk
Where we get your data
We get personal information directly by email, telephone or letter.
We also get personal information from third party websites that provide a transactional service such as Land Registry.
Please ensure that if you supply personal information belonging to a third party, you have the person’s permission.
What data we can collect
We can collect personal information such as:
- your name
- your contact details
- any land you own or occupy
Why we use your data
We may use your information to:
- carry out Internal Drainage Board functions under the Land Drainage Act 1991
- provide advice on planning applications
- maintain our flood risk Asset Record and Register
- respond to flood and drainage enquiries
- process applications under Section 23 of the Land Drainage Act 1991
Why we can use your data
We can use your data if it is a legal obligation or public task under various UK laws.
We use the information provided to us to undertake a public task and this is why we do not need you to “opt in” to allow your information to be used.
How long we keep your personal data
Personal information is retained in accordance with the council’s Corporate Retention Schedule, Land Drainage Act 1991 and Flood and Water Management Act 2010.
Who we can share your data with
We will not sell, rent, or share your information with third parties for marketing purposes.
We may share your information to carry out our duties and deliver services to you.
We may share your information with:
- other risk management authorities
- other Local Planning Authority
When we use third party service providers, we only provide personal information that is necessary to deliver the service. We will also only share data with third parties if we have a contract in place that requires them to only use your data for the agreed purpose.
Exercising your rights
Under the Data Protection Act 2018 and the EU General Data Protection Regulations you have the right to:
- access your own personal data
- request rectification or deletion of your personal data
- object to the processing of your personal data
- request a copy of the information you provide us in machine readable format
- withdraw your consent to any processing that is solely reliant upon your consent
If you wish to exercise any of your rights, you should contact the Data Protection Officer by emailing GDPR@medway.gov.uk.
Your right to complain
If you wish to complain about how your personal data has been handled by Medway Council, you should write to the Data Protection Officer and clearly outline your case.
Your complaint will then be investigated in accordance with the council’s complaint procedure.
If you are still unhappy with the way your personal data has been handled, you can refer it to the Information Commissioner’s Officer.
Information Commissioner’s Office