We understand that the ongoing outbreak of coronavirus (COVID-19) and the measures to increase social distancing are difficult for businesses.
There are measures being put in place to ease some of the financial strain on businesses.
Kent and Medway Growth Hub's free Covid-19 Business Support Helpline
The Kent and Medway Growth Hub has launched a free Covid-19 Business Support Helpline on 03333 602 300.
The dedicated helpline will be available Monday to Friday from 8:30am to 6:30pm and gives you:
- someone to tell you about the type of support you can get
- someone to signpost you to the correct provider of government support measures such as a local authority or HMRC
- a chance to request a call back from a Business Adviser to talk through the measures you can take and help you get support
- someone to talk to you and offer reassurance
- access to a qualified and highly experienced Business Adviser who can offer support and advice
- access to a live chat service that will be manned by Business Advisers dedicated to providing advice about coronavirus
The Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan Scheme
The Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan Scheme (CBILS) is now available through participating lenders.
More about the Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan Scheme
The government has provided guidance on the operation of expanded retail discount for 2020/21: coronavirus response.
As a result, ratepayers who have recently received a new annual bill showing a 50% discount will now receive a revised bill showing a 100% discount.
The 100% discount has been extended to include properties completely or mainly used for leisure, hotels and assembly such as public halls. We’re working hard to ensure notices are issued within 7 to 10 days.
The government has announced in the budget that this discount is to be increased from £1,000 to £5,000. Our business rate bills have already been issued based on the original levels of relief. We will send amended bills to those affected once we have more details from the government.
Non-local authority nursery schools
The government has announced that there will be a business rate 'holiday' for 2020 to 2021. We are waiting for more details but have started to identify ratepayers who may be eligible.
Grants of £10,000 for small businesses
Businesses who get small business rate relief or rural rate relief may get a cash grant of £10,000.
Grants of up to £25,000 for retail, hospitality and leisure sectors
Retail, hospitality and leisure sectors with a rateable value of:
- up to £15,000 may get a cash grant of £10,000
- between £15,001 and less than £51,000 may get a cash grant of £25,000
Coronavirus Self-employment Income Support Scheme
You can claim a grant through the scheme.
This scheme will support the self-employed individuals (including members of partnerships)
Further advice for businesses
For more information read:
- GOV.UK's support for businesses
- GOV.UK's guidance for employers and businesses
- GOV.UK's guidance for employees
- Business Closures and Stay at Home FAQs on the government's Business Support website
- Locate in Kent's summary of coronavirus business support
- Kent and Medway Growth Hub's guidance for employers
- South East Local Enterprise Partnership's coronavirus briefing