Medway Local Plan (2019 to 2040)
The Local Plan sets out a vision for future development in Medway to ensure that the needs of the area are met through a number of policies and proposals.
We are currently working on our new Local Plan, Future Medway, which will replace the 2003 Medway Local Plan.
The plan will cover the period up to 2040 providing for the number of homes and jobs and supporting infrastructure such as transport, health facilities and parks that the area and its growing population need over time.
Subject to outcomes of an independent examination by a planning inspector, Medway's Local Plan will be adopted in 2025.
There are 7 key milestones to pass to successfully adopt a new Local Plan for Medway:
- Issues and options (Regulation 18)
- Development options (Regulation 18)
- Development strategy (Regulation 18)
- Development alternatives consultation (Regulation 18)
- Publication of draft plan (Regulation 19)
- Submission for independent examination (Regulation 22)
- Adoption (Regulation 24.)
The timetable for these can be found in the local development scheme.
The consultation on stage 4 development alternatives will take place during the summer and autumn of 2023. A publication of a draft plan is due in early 2024.