Local Plan evidence base
We're preparing a new Local Plan, which will replace the 2003 Medway Local Plan.
This document will contain strategic level and development management policies, land allocations, minerals and waste, and a policies map.
The plan will cover the period up to 2040, providing for the number of homes, jobs and supporting infrastructure such as transport, health facilities, schools and parks that the area and its growing population needs over this time.
To inform the new Local Plan policies, a range of evidence has been compiled drawing from a variety of information sources. The sources have been grouped and linked into the following themes.
The following list is not exhaustive and will be updated when new evidence is available.
We commissioned a detailed analysis of development needs through a joint Strategic Housing and Economic Needs Assessment (SHENA) with Gravesham Borough Council.
View the housing documents:
- Strategic Land Availability Assessment
- Medway housing and demographics 2021
- Medway local housing needs assessment 2021
- SHENA Baseline Report 2015
- Self-Build and Custom Housebuilding Register
- Brownfield Land Register
- Gypsy, Traveller and Travelling Showpeople Accommodation Assessment 2018
- Medway Extra Care Housing Needs Analysis 2011.
We commissioned a detailed analysis of development needs through a joint SHENA with Gravesham Borough Council.
View the employment documents:
- Employment Land Needs Assessment 2020
- Baseline Report
- The Economic Impact of Tourism - Medway 2015, Destination Research Ltd 2015.
Retail and centres
We commissioned a detailed analysis of development needs through a joint SHENA with Gravesham Borough Council. The report is
View the Retail and Commercial Leisure Assessment final report:
To inform the evidence base for the Development Strategy consultation, we commissioned a further report to be prepared for Medway.
View the further report:
Natural environment and green belt
- Strategic Access Management and Mitigation - Interim Policy Statement
- Landscape Character Assessment 2011
- Air Quality Action Plan 2015
- Medway Green Belt Review
- Hoo Landscape Capacity and Sensitivity Study.
Strategic Flood Risk Assessment
- Medway Council Sequential Test Report
- Medway Council Strategic Flood Risk Assessment 1 April 2020
- Surface Water Management Plan for Hoo and Rainham
- Medway Level 2 SFRA September 2021
- Appendix A.1 Medway SFRA Historic Flooding
- Appendix A.2 Medway SFRA Watercourses and Defence Infrastructure
- Appendix A.3 Medway SFRA Administrative Boundaries
- Appendix A.4 Medway SFRA Potential Risk of Flooding
- Appendix A.5 Medway SFRA Functional Floodplain
- Appendix A.6 Medway SFRA Sustainable Drainage (SuDS) Proforma
- Appendix A.7 Medway SFRA Sensitive Drainage Areas (SDAs).
- Medway Housing Design Standards (Interim) November 2011
- Nationally Described Space Standard
- Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas
- Heritage Asset Review
- Draft Medway Heritage Strategy.
Health and community
- Hot food takeaways in Medway - a guidance note
- Kent and Medway Sustainability and Transformation Plan
- Neighbourhood Planning
- Medway Health and Wellbeing Strategy
- Kent and Medway Partnership Trust - Estates Strategy 2015-20
- Pharmaceutical needs assessment
- Primary and community care Health Building Note 11-01: Facilities for primary and community care services
- Medway Urban Community Facilities Survey Report.
- Medway green and blue infrastructure framework
- Guidance for Outdoor Sport and Play
- Playing Pitch Strategy - Strategy Document
- Playing Pitch Strategy - Needs Assessment
- Medway Village Infrastructure Audit
- Medway Infrastructure Position Statement
- Kent County Council Broadband Delivery UK
- Active Places Power
- Environment Agency - Water stressed areas 2013
- Southern Water
- Playing Pitch and Outdoor Sports Facilities Study 2012
- Water for sustainable growth study
- Medway Council sports facility and strategy and action plan
- Medway Guide to Developer Contributions and Obligations 2018.
- Medway Council Parking Standards
- Medway Council Residential Parking Standards
- English Partnerships - Car parking: what works where 2006
- Sustrans Cycling Parking Draft 2014
- Making the Link: Integrating land use and transport planning through Public Transport Oriented Development.
Minerals, waste and energy
- Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy: Power Stations in the UK (May 2016)
- Medway Renewable Energy Capacity Study 2010
- Local Aggregates Assessment 2016
- Development Plan saved Minerals and Waste policies.
Waste needs assessment
- BPP Medway Waste Needs Assessment Plan Management Requirement main report
- BPP Report Medway Waste Needs Assessment 2020 LA Collected Waste
- BPP Report Medway Waste Needs Assessment 2020 Hazardous Waste
- BPP Report Medway Waste Needs Assessment 2020 Commercial and Industrial Waste
- BPP Report Medway Waste Needs Assessment 2020 Construction, Demolition and Excavation Waste
- BPP Report Medway Waste Needs Assessment 2020 Other Waste Scoping.