Local Plan development strategy consultation
We have prepared a Development Strategy technical report for consultation as the next stage in preparing a new Local Plan for Medway along with our Medway 2035 document. This document sets out the ambitions for the plan, options for how Medway could grow and draft policies for managing development.
This report builds on work carried out at previous stages of consultation on Medway’s emerging Local Plan.
We have considered comments made at earlier stages of consultation and used evidence and analysis to find what approaches would be most successful for Medway in meeting our aims for growth that delivers benefits for all.
The proposals set out in the Development Strategy consultation document include:
- promoting the regeneration of urban waterfront and town centre sites as the core of our growth plans
- a rural town on the Hoo Peninsula, focused around Hoo St Werburgh, supported by new services and infrastructure, including transport, schools, healthcare, parks, jobs and shops
- mix of smaller sites in suburban and other rural areas
Our growth strategy
We have used this growth strategy to set out four options for Medway’s development:
- Scenario 1 - Meeting the housing need of 29,500 homes in line with our analysis of the number of homes needed to support the area’s population growth and change up to 2035
- Scenario 2 - Investment in infrastructure to unlock growth – if we are successful in bids for major new funding for the area, the speed and rate of development could be boosted on the Hoo Peninsula
- Scenario 3 - Meeting Government’s target of local housing need of 37,000 homes, in line with a new approach to calculating the number of homes required for our area
- Scenario 4 - Consideration of development within Lodge Hill SSSI – Homes England is preparing a new planning application for this area for up to 2000 homes with supporting services , which would protect much of this designated site for wildlife, but involve development on some protected areas
A key stage in the production of local plans and policies is carrying out public consultations to ensure that local residents, businesses and other stakeholders have a chance to have their say on the proposals.
Future Medway Local Plan 2012 to 2035
We are working on a new Local Plan which will replace the 2003 Medway Local Plan. This will be a single document containing strategic level and development management policies, land allocations, minerals and waste, and a policies map.
We are consulting on a Development Strategy technical document as a key stage of work in preparing the new Local Plan. This sets out the ambitions for the plan, options for how Medway could grow and draft policies for managing development.
The consultation runs from Friday 16 March to Monday 25 June 2018 at 12pm.
Further details on the proposals including potential development sites are available in our Development Strategy documents.
How to make your comments
If you would like to make comments on the proposals in the Development Strategy please read our Development Strategy documents and submit your comments in writing by 12pm on Monday 25 June 2018.