At certain locations, where space permits, we can issue a licence under the Highways Act 1980 that allows cafés, restaurants and public houses to have tables and chairs on pavements.

If you want to place tables and chairs on Chatham High Street see street furniture licence.

For all other licences apply below. 

Apply for a licence

Application process

Public notice of the application must be given detailing the proposal and deadline for representations. All representations received must be considered and any other relevant authorities must be consulted. Consent must not be unreasonably withheld.

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us by the end of the target completion period.