Before you adopt
Adopting a child is a rewarding experience but it is also a big commitment which can change a child’s life.
We recommend that before you adopt a child you think about:
- your personal circumstances and whether it is the right time for you and your family to consider adoption
- any children you may already have. We recommend at least a 2 year age gap between an adopted child and your youngest child.
- your health and any health conditions that might make it difficult to look after a child
- your BMI - if your BMI is over 40 we would suggest you begin to take steps to reduce this
- seeing a GP to get advice on giving up smoking if you smoke