Medway has announced its aspiration to become City of Culture in 2025.
Medway has a rich heritage and great future, with so much to offer including:
- historic sites
- award-winning country parks
- excellent schools
- a thriving economy
- inspirational residents
City of Culture will create a legacy for Medway, improve local pride within communities and promote the cultural offer not just across Medway, but across the country too.
Medway’s aspiration will further establish the area as a great place to live, work, learn and visit.
You can get involved in Medway’s exciting journey. Share your stories about why you love Medway and help to promote Medway and the City of Culture campaign with your family, friends and work colleagues.
Medway hosts a number of events and activities, including cultural, sports and festivals, for residents to enjoy and take part in.
Medway should bid for City of Culture to:
- create a legacy for Medway and sense of belonging
- support our young people through providing creative and cultural skills in our schools, our college and our universities, and creating employment opportunities
- deepen local pride within our communities
- enhance our cultural and creative offer, raising our creative ambitions and aspirations
- improve diversity and inclusion, supporting both the social regeneration and social isolation agendas
- recognise the importance of arts and culture in improving health and wellbeing
- attract inward investment, growing our local economy.
Join Medway's journey, and show your support by:
- promoting Medway’s cultural offer with family and friends
- joining us and attending one of the many festivals and arts events
- sharing stories and photos about Medway’s history, and what you love about Medway on social media
- being proud of Medway as a great place to live, work, learn and visit
Use #Medway2025 when you share online.
About the UK City of Culture title
The UK City of Culture title is designed to use culture to push economic and social regeneration and raise the profile of arts and creativity locally and across the country.
It also helps cities develop a broader high quality arts and culture sector and attract increased business investment and boost tourism.
Coventry will be the UK’s City of Culture for 2021, following Derry and Hull.
Medway is a city in all but name and has aspirations to be recognised as a leading waterfront university city by 2035.
News coverage so far