Mediation period

There are two types of representations and they need to be handled differently.

The mediation period gives the applicant an opportunity to look at the objections and decide if they wish to amend their application or provide evidence at a hearing dealing with the issues raised in the objections.

Interested party

It is often very difficult to arrange a mediation discussion with the residents and the applicant, so once a representation is received from an interested party, the hearing usually goes ahead.

In the meantime, you will have an opportunity to arrange a residents meeting that may allow all the parties to openly discuss their concerns and see if an agreement can be reached.

A hearing will only be cancelled if the objector withdraws their objection in writing and no other relevant representations are outstanding.

Responsible authority

As soon as we receive a representation from one of the responsible authorities, you will be sent a letter is sent enclosing the objection notice form. The form will tell you the contact name at that authority and explain what action you must now take.

You should contact the authority immediately, discuss the objection and decide whether they agree with the comments and recommendations that the authority might have put forward.

If the authority agree, they should tell us in writing so that we can ask the authority to say if they're willing to withdraw the objection. If they do, the hearing will be cancelled as long as no other relevant representations are outstanding. If an agreement cannot be reached, the hearing will go ahead as planned.

More information

For more information contact the Licensing Team by emailing

Write to: Licensing Unit, Medway Council, Gun Wharf, Dock Road, Chatham, Kent ME4 4TR