Protect your community
Coronavirus (COVID-19) has not gone away, and we all need to play our part to protect our communities across Kent and Medway this autumn and winter.
There are selected groups more at risk of becoming seriously ill from coronavirus. These include elderly residents, residents from ethnic minorities, and residents who have long-term health conditions. We need to protect each other.
To help in the fight against the virus, we’re looking for residents with an interest in health and wellbeing to sign up to become Coronavirus Community Champions.
What is a Coronavirus Commmunity Champion
Medway Council, Kent County Council, NHS Kent and Medway Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) are looking for volunteers to help us in spreading positive public health advice, local support services and safety messages relating to coronavirus. By becoming a coronavirus Community Champion, you will be trained with the latest public health information so that you can make connections with local residents in your community to help Kent and Medway stay well this winter.
This is a voluntary role with no set hours so you can choose how much time you dedicate each week to being a champion. We’re looking for individuals who have a real interest in helping their local community stay safe and well while helping clarify the latest government guidance to residents who may be unsure.
By becoming a champion, you will be invited to carry out the following:
- update your community (including local workplaces or where you live) with the latest local and national information around coronavirus
- talk to those groups most at risk to help them stay safe
- promote healthy lifestyle changes, including healthy eating and physical activity (through tips and advice, local sessions available to resident and online resources)
- be a voice for those around you, your household, school, work, club, group of friends and your local community to champion staying well and protecting one another this winter by following safety advice relating to coronavirus
- help signpost residents to local mental and physical health services, supporting those residents in particular that you encounter who have been affected by coronavirus and the latest restrictions
What you will receive
Every two weeks, you will be sent a email update that details the current facts and figures about coronavirus in Kent and Medway, along with key project updates.
You will also be invited to attend a online meeting with all other champions. This will give you the opportunity to hear the most up-to-date information about coronavirus including statistics and data, planned support programmes for vulnerable residents and what the health and social care system are doing to prepare for the autumn and winter period. You can also ask coronavirus experts questions on what is happening across Kent and Medway and feedback what your community is telling or asking you.