The Leader of Medway Council has issued a statement regarding the ongoing conflict in Ukraine.
Cllr Alan Jarrett said: “We are deeply appalled and saddened by the tragic events that have been unfolding in Ukraine and, like many other local authorities, we stand ready to welcome and provide a haven for those fleeing the conflict in their country.
“We are continuing to follow government guidance and we have already started to put plans in place to be able to accommodate Ukrainian citizens, and families, in the coming weeks.
“We currently do not know exactly how many Ukrainians will be arriving in Medway however, we are aware, and are incredibly proud, that currently 27 families have signed up to be part of the government’s Homes for Ukraine scheme and will be working with these households to support them in their welcome.
“We want to ensure that Ukrainian nationals arriving in Medway receive the best possible support and welcome, to Medway. The government has announced that local authorities will receive funding to provide support to those coming to the UK including safeguarding checks, translation services, access to health services and education and we are working with partners to ensure arrangements are put in place.
“It has been heart-warming to see Medway’s response to the Ukrainian crisis and there are a number of ways residents can show their support to the Ukrainian people including making donations to the Red Cross Ukraine Crisis Appeal or the UN’s Ukraine Humanitarian Fund.
“We will continue to share the latest government advice on our website including information on how residents can sign up to the Homes for Ukraine scheme.
“We stand with Ukraine and its people and our thoughts and prayers are with them at this most difficult time.”
Support and advice
- If you have friends and family in Ukraine and need information or support about what is happening contact the Ukrainian Embassy
- To make a donation towards the UN’s humanitarian work, visit Ukrainian Humanitarian Fund UN Crisis Relief
- To make a donation to the Red Cross, visit Ukraine Crisis Appeal
- Read the government’s travel advice
- If you have a child in a Medway school who is affected by the crisis, talk to your child’s teachers about your concerns and the support you would like them to provide
- Residents are encouraged to check any parking restrictions which may be in place around community collection sites, including the Ordnance Street, Chatham, area