We are urging drivers and cyclists to be extra careful on the roads this winter.
Here are our top tips to help you stay safe on Medway's roads:
- Be seen – As the seasons change and the evenings get darker, make sure you and your family are visible by wearing reflective and fluorescent clothing to keep seen and safe.
- Be alert – Children can be unpredictable and may misjudge traffic. Children arriving late for the bus may also dart into the road. Be alert when travelling through a school zone.
- Avoid distractions – Motorists, switch off your mobile phone whilst driving. Pedestrians are also advised to avoid listening to music through headphones or using a mobile phone while crossing the road.
- Find a safe place to cross – Before crossing the road, find a safe place to cross and stop, look and listen. Make sure you are wearing bright clothing and reflective items.
- Look out for cyclists – Car drivers are encouraged to take extra care by giving cyclist’s space and looking out for others, particularly in poor weather conditions which can reduce visibility.
- Bike safety – When riding a bike remember to always wear a helmet, reflective clothing and make sure your bike is in good working order.