Published: Friday, 12th June 2020

Medway’s secondary school pupils in years 10 and 12 can return to the classroom from Monday, 15 June.

Medway Council has been working with head teachers and trust chief executives on plans to support the government’s phased return of pupils.

The council has provided support and advice to schools on measures which could be put in place to protect both children and staff returning to the classroom.  

Secondary school head teachers have been busy planning and making decisions on whether their school is able to reopen, taking into consideration classroom sizes and the number of classrooms, based on the availability of staff and outside space.

Medway’s secondary schools are making final preparations to reopen. However, where a school is unable to safely reopen its doors, teaching staff will continue to offer high quality support to pupils learning at home. Each school is directly contacting families and pupils to advise of their own arrangements.   

Continuing to offer support schools

Cllr Martin Potter, Medway Council’s Portfolio Holder for Education and Schools, said: “I am pleased a number of secondary schools will be able to reopen their doors for pupils in years 10 and 12. Thank you to the teaching staff who continue to support them and other year groups to help ensure Medway’s young people receive the best possible education during these challenging times.

“It is encouraging to hear that the majority of primary schools have been able to reopen and that more children have been accessing the classroom based learning. This wouldn’t have been possible without the determined efforts and joint work between head teachers and Medway Council’s schools team, as well as with the support of parents and the pupils themselves. We will continue to offer our utmost support to all primary and secondary schools, as well as academies in Medway, and of course the children and young people who have adapted incredibly well to the changes.”

I am proud of how the school community has come even closer together

Cllr Josie Iles, Medway Council’s Lead Member for Children’s Services, said: “Medway’s children and young people are the greatest focus of our work and I am pleased that Medway Council has continued to support schools throughout the ongoing pandemic, and continues to do so. Medway offers an excellent choice of primary and secondary schools and I am proud of how the school community has come even closer together to support each other, as well as our young people, during these challenging times. We will continue to work side by side to provide Medway’s children and families with the support they need and to ensure every child in Medway has the opportunity to thrive, remain healthy and learn well.” 

Medway schools are also continuing to support vulnerable children and those of key workers in all year groups, as part of the government’s response to the ongoing pandemic.

Earlier this month, Medway’s primary schools reopened their doors to pupils in reception, year 1 and year 6. By Monday, 15 June 95 per cent of Medway primary schools will be open.

Young people travelling to school by public transport are reminded of new government guidelines for all members of public that face coverings must be worn on a bus, coach and train from Monday, 15 June.

Find out the latest coronavirus advice for schools.

Keep up-to-date with the latest coronavirus service updates in Medway. 

News archive