Jump aboard the open top tour bus and unearth the secrets of Medway for yourself!
About the tour
Tours run every day from 23 July to 2 September, 11am to 4pm
The bus will run hourly from 11am each day, with departures on the hour until 4pm from the back of Rochester Visitor Centre in Corporation Street (opposite Rochester Station), but you can start your journey at any of the stops on the route, or jump on or off at any of our stops.
You can buy a ticket from the driver and get on the bus at any of the stops.
As tickets are valid all day, you can either take the complete tour lasting 45 minutes, or hop off at any stop and continue the tour later.
The open top bus is wheelchair accessible with an automatic ramp and designated wheelchair spaces.
How much it costs
- Adults - £4.50
- Children, seniors and concessions - £2.50
Open top bus stops
During the tour you will stop off at:
- Medway Visitor Information Centre
- Rochester railway station
- Chatham bus station
- Fort Amherst
- The Royal Engineers Museum
- The Historic Dockyard
- Dockside Outlet Centre
- Chatham railway station
The tour celebrates some of Medway's most well-known characters. Keep your eyes peeled for:
- Miss Havisham
- Arthur The Mouse
- Lance Corporal Beth Taylor
- Princess Pearl the Pirate
- Private Henry Hicks
- Norman the Knight
- Will Adams
You’ll learn fun facts about these characters, where they lived, and a little about their history too!
|Visitor information Centre, Rochester||11.00||12.00||13.00||14.00||15.00||16.00|
|Boley Hill, Rochester||11:02||12.02||13.02||14.02||15.02||16.02|
|Chatham Waterfront Bus Station||11.14||12.14||13.14||14.14||15.14||16.14|
|Gun Wharf, Dock Road||11.16||12.16||13.16||14.16||15.16||16.16|
|Royal Engineers Museum||11.21||12.21||13.21||14.21||15.21||16.21|
|Dockside Outlet Centre||11.26||12.26||13.26||14.26||15.26||16.26|
|The Historic Dockyard, Chatham||11.31||12.31||13.31||14.31||15.31||16.31|
|Fort Amherst, Dock Road||11.36||12.36||13.26||14.36||15.36||16.36|
|Chatham Waterfront Bus Station||11.37||12.37||13.37||14.37||15.37||16.37|
|Visitor Information Centre, Rochester||11.45||12.45||13.45||14.45||15.45||16.45|
Terms and conditions of carriage
- This service is operated by Arriva plc on behalf of Medway Council.
- The ticket purchased for this service is only valid for use on The Explore Medway open top bus on the day of purchase. The all-day ticket is valid on the day of purchase only.
- A child is defined as being aged from 5 to 15 years. Only one child, under 5 years old, per adult may travel for free provided they do not occupy a seat to the exclusion of a fare paying passenger.
- Standing is not permitted on the upper deck or staircase.
- Passengers are encouraged to remain seated or hold on to handrails at all times.
- Concessionary bus concession holders will not be allowed to use their free passes for this tourist service and will be expected to pay the full concession fare as promoted. (A bus service aimed at carrying tourist traffic is exempt from the concessionary fares as defined under the Transport Act 2000.)
- Arriva Medway will make every effort to maintain a regular and frequent service, but does not guarantee to do so in the event of unforeseeable traffic delays or route diversions.
- In the event of a breakdown or bad weather, this service will still operate but with a branded Arriva ‘closed top’ vehicle.