Go to navigation

Paying for your care

If a social worker at Medway Council has assessed that you are eligible to receive care services, a financial assessment will then need to be completed to determine whether or not you are required to contribute towards the cost of the care services you receive.

We will contact you to arrange to complete the necessary financial assessment convenient to you.

The information you will need to provide at the time of the financial assessment is:

  • Details of the income you receive
  • Details of your capital – this can include current accounts, savings accounts, building society accounts, ISA’s, stocks, premium bonds your savings
  • Details of any property you own or part own

We will:

  • check to make sure that you are receiving all of the correct benefits. If you are not, we will tell the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) who will help you make a claim for them 
  • calculate what you can afford to pay
  • explain how you can pay
  • ensure that you fully understand what will happen in the future should anything change in your finances 

You will receive your first invoice within 7 weeks of the visit. If this is not possible, you will receive a letter explaining the reasons for the delay.

If you receive non residential care services, and have over £23,250 in capital, you will be assessed to pay the full cost of the care services you receive to Medway Council.

If you are receiving permanent residential or nursing care services, and have over £23,250 in capital, you will be asked to pay the residential/nursing home direct for your care. The is called becoming a self-funder.


Third party top-up payments

Your Social Worker will tell you how much Medway Council is able to pay for the type of Residential/Nursing care that meets your needs. This is called the “Band Price”.

You can choose to go into a home that meets your needs but is more expensive than the band price, if there is someone else who is willing to pay the additional costs. This is called a “Third Party Top Up”. The person paying the 3rd party top-up will be asked to sign a legal agreement confirming that they are able and willing to make the weekly payment.


Paying the third party top-up

Third party top up payments must be paid by someone other than you or Medway Council. This can be a family member, friend or organisation.

You may only pay the top-up yourself if:

  • you own a property which is subject to the 12 week property disregard

The “12-week property disregard” means that the value of a person’s property is not taken into account in the financial assessment for permanent residential/nursing care, for the first 12 weeks from when a person enters a care home. The purpose of the 12-week property disregard for those entering a care home is to prevent people from being forced to sell their home at a time of crisis.


You must also have:

  • Capital assets, other than your property, over £14,250.00


  • Income that has been disregarded from your financial assessment


Self-funding residential/nursing care

If you have assets over £23,250 not including any property you own, you will usually be asked to pay your care home direct. This is called being a 'self-funder'. When you are a self funder, the contract for your placement is then between yourself and the home owner. For details of private resident prices, you would need to speak to the home owner/manager.

Information on self funding your residential/nursing care: http://www.carechoices.co.uk/funding/self-funding/


Independent financial advice

We advise that you should seek independent financial advice to guide you through your personal care costs.

  • The Financial Conduct Authority website has a range of easy to understand advice and information on sourcing financial advice. All advisors should be accredited by the FCA.
  • The Society of Later Life Advisers (SOLLA) aims to help people to find trusted accredited financial advisers who have a particular understanding of financial needs in later life. The website offers an online search of SOLLA accredited advisers.
  • The Saga Care Funding Advice Service specialises in providing care funding advice for people who need to pay for their own care needs. There is a useful free guide to paying for care on their website.
  • Paying for Care is a not-for-profit organisation which includes advice on its website on paying for care, as well as an online care fees calculator and a care cap calculator. For SOLLA-accredited advisers, look for the red and purple flower logo by their name.
  • Money Advice Service is a range of free and impartial money advice, set up by the government.

FAQs about care payments